|Object ID #||BROAD.098.001|
|Title||98 Broad Street (Dr. Henry R. Frost's Surgery) and 98½ Broad Street|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
Constructed ca. 1735 (front portion, ca. 1800-10 (rear portion); renovated ca. 1835. Dr. Frost's 2-story, gable-ended office may incorporate a portion of a double tenement constructed about 1735 by the colonial physician Dr. John Martino and subsequently sold to Dr. Alexander Garden, the colonial horticulturist for whom the gardenia is named. (Dr. Garden's principal plantation, "Otranto" at Goose Creek, is today surrounded by a subdivision.) The front portion of the building was subsequently renovated after 1835, when Dr. Henry Frost took a mortgage to construct a building on this site. The first-floor front room contains woodwork from Belvedere plantation house, the circa 1800 Charleston Neck seat of Col. Thomas Shubrick. The plantation house was demolished in 1925 by the Standard Oil Company, and the interior detailing was subsequently installed. The front entry door with fluted pilasters and semi-circular fanlight probably came from Belvedere.
File contains FOHG building history; building history from Information for Guides of Historic Charleston; newspaper articles (including DYKYC); historical research materials including chain-of-title, deeds, property inventory, will of Henry Frost; HABS drawings (reduced-sized copy); correspondence and other documentation concerning 98½ Broad Street including "Field Report" by Willie Graham and Orlando Ridout.
|Subjects||Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston|
Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS)
|Physical Description||1 File Folder|
|Related Records||Show Related Records...|