|Title||34 Chapel Street (Dr. Anthony Vanderhorst Toomer House, II)|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
Constructed ca. 1840; restored 1980s. Dr. Anthony V. Toomer, a wealthy physician and planter, or his son built this 2-story frame dwelling on a brick basement as one of 3 large suburban villas on antebellum Chapel Street. The distinctive double bows of the front piazza and other features once led some historians to wrongly attribute the house to the architect Robert Mills. The pedimented cross gables, interior doors, stair niches, and other details exhibit sophisticated Gothic Revival influences. The original stair hall floor coverings were linoleum, apparently ordered by the builder from England, reflecting the first documented use of this material in Charleston.
File contains SC Historical Society tour history; house history from City of Charleston Tour Guide Training Manual (2011); history from Architectural Guide to Charleston (by Simons & Thomas); HCF staff research notes; newspaper articles (1975 & 1984 DYKYC); 1886 Earthquake damage assessment; Hurricane Hugo damage assessment (see Media tab); correspondence (1979) about the possible purchase of the house by HCF.
|Subjects||Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston|
Mazyckborough and Wraggborough
|Physical Description||1 File Folder|
|Related Records||Show Related Records...|
|Object ID #||CHAPEL.034.01|