|Object ID #||KING.GEN.001|
|Title||King Street (General Information) and King Street Facade Program: Final Record of Study|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
King Street, named for the ruler of England, was in the early days of the settlement the main highway into Charlestown, down the narrow "Neck" from the interior. It followed a ridge of high ground between the many creeks and marshes lacing the peninsula. The road was known variously as "The Broad Path," the "High Way," and "The Broad Road." Those names continued to be applied to that part of the street above Beaufain Street until after the Revolution. During the latter part of the 18th and early part of the 19th centuries, the upper part of King Street became the center of the wagon yard trade. Wagon drivers from the interior there traded country products for store goods. During the period from the mid-19th century to the early 20th century, King Street was a regional retail emporium. King Street ended at South Battery until 1911, when it was extended southward to newly created Murray Boulevard. (Source: Charleston Streets website)
Two file folders that contain newspaper articles (including DYKYC) about issues such as demolition of buildings, revitalization, beautification, Upper King Street, and the "superblock"; miscellaneous images (photocopies); historical research (plats, City Directory pages, maps); report (1988) entitled "An Historical Survey of the Development of Lower King Street From Broad to Wentworth Street" prepared for the Preservation Society for the King Street Merchants' Association by Robert A. Warnock; HCF correspondence from the 1970s relating to beautification; section on the history of King Street from a report by Historic Preservation graduate student; College of Charleston student report "The King Street Riot of 1876"; City of Charleston Design Division Report 04, "New King Street Square" (2014); photograph of 424 King Street (Gene's Electric Service); brief newspaper article about the closing of Morris Sokol Furniture (510 King Street); information about 96 King Street (1886 Earthquake and Hurricane Hugo damage assessments, excerpts from City of Charleston Tour Guide Training Manual and Old Codgers Charleston Address Book) (see Media tab).
|Physical Description||2 File Folders|