|Title||95 Broad Street (Bocquet House)|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
Constructed 1779; additions and alterations, ca. 1820 and 1850; restored 1990-91. Built by the son of the Huguenot baker who owned the property next door and several other lots in the area. The first floor was altered in the mid-19th century with two door surrounds, one to provide separate street access to the L-shaped stair hall and the other leading directly into a front room used for business. (The floor plan is the same as that of the Phillips House at 55 Church Street.) The eastern door surround with Federal style gougework is original, while the architrave of the west door is a modern reproduction. The house is noted for the extraordinary quality of its woodwork. The overmantel section of the drawing room chimneypiece, similar to the woodwork at 128 Tradd Street and to the memorial to Lady Anne Murray in the First Scots Presbyterian Church, is attributable to one of several English carvers working in the city in the 1760s and 1770s.
File contains house history by Samuel Gaillard Stoney (1950?); house history from Vernacular Architecture of Charleston and the Lowcountry; house history from Information for Guides of Historic Charleston (1984); house history from City of Charleston Tour Guide Training Manual (2011); various FOHG house histories and tour notes (1979, 1992, undated); newspaper articles (DYKYC 1954 and undated); captioned photograph of Broad Street houses including 95 Broad Street (source not indicated); measured drawing of the second floor plan (Colonial Williamsburg Foundation).
See also BROAD.085-87.002 (correspondence and legal documents relating to 85-101 Broad Street/Hollings Judicial Center Annex, 1983 to the present) and BROAD.085-87.003 (Phase One Cultural Resource Assessment, Hollings Judicial Center Annex).
|Subjects||Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston|
|Physical Description||1 File Folder|
|Related Records||Show Related Records...|
|Object ID #||BROAD.095.001|