Historic Charleston Foundation logo

images banner
images banner small

Archive Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Title 14 Chapel Street (Northeastern Railroad Company Depot)
Object Type Property File
Scope & Content Constructed ca. 1853-55. The present building replaced the original depot which was built in the 1850s and blown up during the Confederate evacuation of the city on February 18, 1865. A photograph of the ruins show a very different structure than the present [info from article dated 1976] building. The destroyed depot was a much more elaborate building, with arcades in the Italianate style. By 1867, new freight and passenger depots had been completed, one of which has disappeared, which had been at the foot of Chapel Street on the south side of Washington Street. The second structure at Chapel and East Bay Streets appears to be the same structure now [1976] at that address. Its architectural style has been cited as being typical of the 1850s and is also typical of the 1860s in Charleston, where new construction continued to be built in the "antebellum" style, as evidenced by buildings constructed soon after the war in areas destroyed by the great fire of 1861. (Source: DYKYC)

File contains newspaper articles (DYKYC); house history from Information for Guides of Historic Charleston; description of Northeastern Railroad Company from "Resources & Attractions of Charleston" (ca. 1898).
Subjects Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston
Railroad stations
Search Terms Chapel Street
Mazyckborough and Wraggborough
Physical Description 1 File Folder
Object ID # CHAPEL.014.01