Historic Charleston Foundation logo

images banner
images banner small

Archive Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Title A Carolina Calendar
Object Type Calendar
Scope & Content Two calendars (1917 and 1920) created by the South Carolina Society of Colonial Dames. Pages for each month have a photograph of a building and a quotation. Images include:

1) Cover: Powder Magazine
2) January: Powder Magazine (interior), Meeting Place of S. Ca. Society of Colonial Dames (quotation by Lady Baltimore)
3) February: Wambaw Church, St. James, Santee, Built 1767 (quotation by Longfellow)
4) March: Hampton, The Home of Col. H.M. Rutledge, Built in 1747. Showing Famous Washington Oak, Planted in 1790 (quotation by A.H. Rutledge)
5) April: El Dorado, on the Santee, the Home of General Thomas Pinckney (quotation from Life of Gen'l Thomas Pinckney)
6) May: St. Andrew's Church, Charleston County, South Carolina (quotation from Dalcho's Ch. Hist.)
7) June: Church of St. James, Goose Creek, Built in 1714 (quotation by Mrs. Ravenel)
8) July: St. Michael's Church, Built 1756 (quotation by Owen Wister)
9) August: Huguenot Church, Founded 1681, Rebuilt 1845 (quotation by Lady Baltimore)
10) September: Medway House, Built 1682 (quotation by John Bennett)
11) October: Mulberry Castle, Built by Gov. Broughton, 1714 (quotation from A Day on Cooper River)
12) November: Dean Hall
13) December: Strawberry Chapel, 1725, Chapel of Ease to Biggen Church (quotation by Mrs. Rose)
Creator/Author South Carolina Society of Colonial Dames
Date 1917, 1920
Subjects Calendars
Powder Magazine (Charleston, S.C.)--Photographs
St. Michael's Episcopal Church (Charleston, S.C.)--Photographs
Rural churches--Photographs
Hampton Plantation (S.C.)--Photographs
St. Andrew's Episcopal Church (Charleston County, S.C.)--Photographs
St. James Church (Goose Creek, S.C.)--Photographs
French Protestant Huguenot Church (Charleston, S.C.)--Photographs
Medway (S.C.)--Photographs
Mulberry Plantation (Berkeley County, S.C.)--Photographs
Dean Hall Plantation (S.C.)--Photographs
Lost architecture
Physical Description 2 calendars
Date(s) of Creation 1917, 1920
Object ID # 2005.001.01a-b