|Object ID #||MONTAGU.054.001|
|Title||54 Montagu Street (Isaac Motte Dart House a/k/a Edward Washington North Estate)|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
Constructed ca. 1806; porches added 1820s, back porch enclosed and second story added 1840s-50s; restored with new addition 1994-95. In 1795 eleven lots on the estate of the late John Harleston were divided among his three surviving daughters. On July 21, 1801, Isaac Motte Dart, a Charleston attorney and factor, purchased the two halves of one lot, although he is listed as residing on Hasell Street until 1806. Dart built the typical Charleston single house now known as 54 Montagu between 1806 and 1809. It is uncertain when Edward Washington North, a Charleston physician, purchased the house, but Dart disappears from the directories by 1824 and North is listed on Montagu by 1829. It is possible that North added the large rear addition, which dated to the 1820s, and built the surviving dependency. North was elected mayor of Charleston in 1833 and served until 1835. In 1845, North sold the house and land to Ann Simons, wife of Sedgewick Simons. This 2½ story wooden building on a raised basement has a front staircase or portico, and is reminiscent of plantation construction. Nineteenth century changes including the large rear (northern) addition, removed after Hurricane Hugo. Also of note but is its early Gothic Revival carriage house at the rear of the property. The main building was purchased by the American Missionary Association in 1930 and retained by the organization until the 1950. The property was then used by a local nursing school as a dormitory.
Three files contain documentation of the covenant on the property; annual inspection letters and reports; requests for alterations; correspondence and other documentation related to the sale and management of the property; documentation of HCF's purchase of the property; historical/chain-of-title research information, including list of "Negroes" (compiled by HCF staff?), will, and inventories of Edward North Washington; FOHG house histories (1994, 2004); FOHG garden histories (1997, 2007); narrative history from Charleston's Federal Architecture (1994); house history from Vernacular Architecture of Charleston and the Lowcountry; realtor's illustrated house history; newspaper articles (including undated and 1972 DYKYC); magazine article (Traditional Home, 2003); application for 1997 Great American Homes Award (denied); measured drawings (first and second floors); plat of 54 and 56 Montagu Street (1994); photocopies of elevation and interior detail photographs by Preservation Consultants (1983); captioned photograph of iron work (1937 pictorial exhibit, N&C).
See Covenant/Easement Inspection Photo Files for inspection photography.
|Subjects||Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston|
Before and after
2 Covenant/Management Folders
1 History/Miscellaneous Folder
|Related Records||Show Related Records...|