Historic Charleston Foundation logo

images banner
images banner small

Archive Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Title Index to City Yearbook Images
Object Type Spreadsheet
Scope & Content An index to the images (maps, photographs, and illustrations) contained within City Yearbooks from 1880-1948. Created by Charleston Archive staff member. Index provides the year, image caption, subject, and format. The following is a list of image captions. Refer to the database for details.

A Map of Charles Town in 1671.
A Map of Charles Town in 1704.
A Map of Charles Town [n.d.].
A Map of Charles Town with its Entrenchments, and those made by the English during the Siege of 1780.
A Map of the present City of Charleston [1880].
City Hall
A Map of Charleston---the Harbor and Vicinity.
Colonial Exchange--now the Post Office [1881].
The New Council Chamber, City Hall.
An Exact Prospect of Charles Town, 1762.
Fac-Simile of Sir Henry Clinton's Map of the Siege of Charles Town.
William Enston
City Hall [1882]
Fac-Simile of the Medal Struck at the United States Mint, Philadelphia, to commemorate the Centennial of the Incorporation of the City of Charleston, 13 August 1883.
The Great Seal of the Second Lords Proprietors of the Province of Carolina.
Fac-Simile of an Old Map of Carolina (previous to 1700).
Fac-Simile of a British Stamp.
Fac-Simile of an Old Map, giving the British account of the Battle of Fort Sullivan, 28 June 1776.
Plats A, B, C, showing Locations of Fort Johnson---1704-1865.
Plats D, E, showing Locations of Fort Moultrie---1776-1865.
Plats E, G, showing Location of Castle Pinckney---1794.
Plats F, G, showing Shape and Area of Fort Sumter---1828.
Fac-Simile of Relics Found in the Cornerstone of the Old Light-House, Morris Island, 1767.
Map of Charleston and surrounding vicinity, showing the original settlement of 1670 at Albemarle Point.
A Plat of the City's Artesian Well, Marion Square, showing strata down to the depth of 1970 feet.
A Map of Morris and Part of Folly Islands, at the Entrance of Charleston Harbor, 1861-62.
Plan of Fort Wagner, Morris Island.
The Ichnography of Charles Town, at High Water, 1739.
Portraits of the Prominent Volunteer Firemen, 1842.
Facsimile of Poster fixing Price of Stamps and of the Stamp itself.
Map of Charleston and Vicinity, showing location of all Forts.
A map of the Inner Harbor, with several thousand Soundings, showing Depth of Water at all Points.
The Earliest Map of Carolina, made by order of the Lords Proprietors, 1672.
Map of the Improved Part of Carolina, with the settlements down to 1715.
Map Showing Epicenter Region of Earthquake, 31 August 1886.
Court House--Earthquake Views.
Residence of Mr. Ravenel, East Battery, Earthquake Views.
Old U.S. Courthouse, Earthquake Views.
Residence of Mr. William Sinkler, Tradd Street, Earthquake Views.
Collapsed Building in Rear of U.S. Post Office, Earthquake Views.
Ruins of Three Large Buildings, Hayne Street, Earthquake Views.
Medical College, Ruins of Portico.
St. Michael's Church, Earthquake Views.
Schultz Residence, Summerville, Earthquake Views.
Geyser near Ten Mile Hill, Showing Erupted Sand, Earthquake Views.
Fissure Near Ashley River, Earthquake Views.
Ground Plan of Enston Home.
Office, Shirras Dispensary
Orphan House
Memorial Hospital
Ground Plan of Memorial Hospital
Central Fire Station
Central Police Station
Old Cumberland M.E. Church
Old Bethel M.E. Church
Old Trinity Pulpit
New Bethel M.E. Church
Front Row of Cottages, Upper King Street, William Enston Home.
F. W. Dawson
Charleston Harbor
View of Maritime Sanitation Building.
View of Interior of Maritime Sanitation Building.
View of Open Cylinder, and Truck Loaded with Clothing, etc., before entering Maritime Sanitation.
View of Cylinder-Truck with Clothing Introduced, Maritime Sanitation.
View of Vessel Being Fumigated, and Wharf for Ballast Deposit, Maritime Sanitation.
View of Fumigating Wharf--Vessel and Naphtha Launch, Maritime Sanitation.
View of Quarantine Officer's Dwelling.
Sketch of the College of Charleston.
Map showing soundings at the Jetties in Charleston Harbor from 1884 to 1892.
Hall of St. Andrew's Society
Cannon Park, preliminary plan
Chicora Park, general plan
Thomson Auditorium
The Timrod Memorial, Washington Square
Henry Timrod
Henry Timrod house, Henderson Street, Columbia, S.C.
Plan Showing Site of Naval Station, Charleston, S.C.
Plan Showing Proposed General Development, U.S. Naval Station, Charleston S.C.
Drainage Map of Charleston Neck.
J.O. Lea, City Treasurer
Daniel L. Sinkler, City Assessor
Glenn E. Davis, City Sheriff
J.B. Keckeley, Superintendent of Streets
George H. Moffett, Corporation Counsel
J. H. Dingle, City Surveyor
I'on Simons, City Electrician
J. Merceir Green, M.D., Health Officer
O. G. Marjenhoff, Chief of Fire Department
W. A. Boyle, Chief of Police
Board of Aldermen and Mayor Pro Tem, Charleston, S.C., 1900
Board of Aldermen and Mayor Pro Tem, Charleston, S.C., 1901
Board of Aldermen and Mayor Pro Tem, Charleston, S.C., 1903
Board of Aldermen and Mayor Pro Tem, Charleston, S.C., 1902
W.W. Simons, Clerk of Council
R.G. O'Neale, Mayor's Secretary
Theo. D. Jervey, City Recorder
Hon. J. Adger Smyth, Mayor
Beauregard Memorial Arch
Roper Hospital
Roper Hospital, blueprints
Admiral F. W. Dickins, Cruiser Charleston
U.S.S. Charleston
Cmdr. Winslow, U.S.N.
Silver Punch bowl presented to crew of Cruiser Charleston by City of Charleston.
The First Immigrant from the "Wittekind," Herr Nicolaus Nicmann.
Immigrants with their Baggage, landing at Charleston from the "Wittekind."
The North German Lloyd Steamship "Wittekind"
Hon. E. J. Watson, Commissioner of Agriculture, Commerce and Immigration for South Carolina
Chart of the "Wittekind's" First Voyage from Bremen to Charleston.
Bandstand, White Point Garden.
Cannon Park, showing entrance to the new Charleston Museum.
Home of the Charleston Museum for Sixty Years.
Francis Simmons Holmes
Floor plan, main Exhibition Hall, New Charleston Museum
In Hampton Park.
East Battery
In White Point Garden.
Panoramic view of Harbor and City of Charleston showing battleship fleet.
Bacteriological Laboratory, Health Department, Medical College
Police Station
Capt. J.A. Black, Chief of Police
T. M. O'Brien, Chief Detective
Hon. T. T. Hyde, Mayor
Capt. J.A. Black, Chief of Police
Police Station
Clarence Levy, Banking Detective
Charles W. Busch, Juvenile Officer
No images in 1919 yearbook.
Main Pumping Station, Hanahan, Berkeley Co., S.C.
Engine Room, Main Pumping Station, Hanahan, Berkeley Co., S.C.
Engineers' Cottages, Hanahan, Berkeley Co., S.C.
One of the Original 100 ft. Timber Spillways, Goose Creek Dam, Hanahan, Berkeley Co., S.C.
New Concrete Spillway, Goose Creek Dam, Hanahan, Berkeley Co,. S.C.
Northeast Abutment, New Concrete Spillway, Hanahan, Berkeley Co., S.C.
Washwater Standpipe, New Filter Plant, Hanahan, Berkeley Co., S.C.
Concrete Forms in Place Ready for Pouring Concrete, New Filter Plant, Hanahan, Berkeley Co., S.C.
One of 14 New Concrete Filter Tanks, Showing Wheeler Bottoms, About completed.
One of 14 new Filters Showing Wash Water Troughs, Wheeler Bottom and Balls in Place Ready to Receive Gravel and Sand.
James R. Cantwell, Chief of Police
Engineers' Cottages, Hanahan Pumping Station
Storage Reservoir after Removal of Floating Islands, Dec. 1921.
Storage Reservoir after Removal of Floating Islands, Dec. 1921.
New Filter Plant, Built 1920-21. Hanahan Pumping Station
James R. Cantwell, Chief of Police
Engineers' Cottages, Hanahan Pumping Station
Section of 6" Main, Laid 1887---Removed 1922. Showing Incrustation. Coefficient 34. Water Department.
Section of 6" Cement Lined Cast Iron Main, Laid 1922, Internal Dia. 5 5/8." Water Department.
Storage Reservoir Showing Floating Islands, July 1921.
Storage Reservoir after Removal of Floating Islands, Dec. 1921.
James R. Cantwell, Chief of Police
Members of City Council who took office December 16, 1935.
The Mayor's new office.
East Bay looking north from Broad Street.
A major step in Charleston's financial progress took place when Mayor Burnet R. Maybank signed the new Refunding Bonds.
Foot of Shaft 21, Edisto-Goose Creek Tunnel.
Shaft 22, North heading to West Virginia Pulp and Paper Company, before trimming.
The Nation's Chief Executive [Franklin D. Roosevelt], waves an affectionate farewell to Charleston from the bridge of the Indianapolis, on the eve of departure on the good-will cruise to South America.
The famous Roosevelt smile flashes as the President halts on the gangplank to say goodbye to the crowd at Union Pier.
Murray Vocational School, as seen across Murray Park (scanned).
The smoldering city dump, . . .[and] the modern garbage incinerator shown below.
An interesting contrast in the appearance of East Battery. [Two photos. 1883 and 1936.]
Ox pulling dump cart at one of the Edisto-Goose Creek Tunnel shafts. Water Works.
Down into the solid Edisto marl this shaft reaches to connect with the 23 mile Edisto-Goose Creek tunnel. Water Works.
Traffic Sergeant John J. Garbini and Chauffeur William M. Runey stand before one of Charleston's new police cruisers.
Two striking views of Charleston's Battery. [White Point Garden].
Past historic Fort Sumter, the formidable cruiser Indianapolis moves seaward, carrying President Roosevelt on his epoch-making voyage to South America.
The Queen of Charleston's 1936 Azalea Festival goes to Mullins to take part in that city's Tobacco Festival.
An artist's conception of Charleston in 1861, as seen from the Mount Pleasant shore.
A scene on Marshall's Wharf.
A view from the Clyde Line Docks.
A view from St. Michael's Steeple, looking east, showing schooners in the Cooper [1883].
A view from St. Michael's Steeple, looking northeast [ca. 1933].
The gigantic plant of the West Virginia Pulp and Paper Company.
The Sunken Garden at Hampton Park.
Immediately after Azalea Festival Corporation.
Coronation of Miss Charleston for Azalea Festival.
The new aviary at Hampton Park.
The new concrete tennis courts at William Moultrie Playground.
New maginal [sic] wharf and shed constructed at Columbus Street.
A few of the local vessels tied up at the new pier at the Municipal Yacht Basin at low tide.
Meeting Street Manor (scanned).
A few of the snipes participating in the Azalea Festival races off the Battery.
A portion of the Animal section of the Azalea Festival Floats Parade.
Joseph C. Barbot
John J. Healy
Brice H. Mathews
W. Moultrie Ball
Main or Church Street Façade of Dock Street Theatre.
Pit, Boxes, and Proscenium of Dock Street Theatre.
Green Room of Dock Street Theatre.
The Lobby of the Dock Street Theatre.
Former Residence of Governor Thomas Bennett, 1 Lucas Street.
Residence of Mrs. W. A. Roebling, 64 South Battery.
Residence of Mrs. George W. Williams, 15 Meeting Street.
Residence of John Mead Howells, 105 Tradd Street.
Residence of Mr. Julian Mitchell, 8 South Battery.
The West Point Rice Mill building as it appeared in 1936 (scanned).
The Old Road leading to West Point Mill [ca. 1880s].
Burnet R. Maybank, Mayor, 1931-1938
Henry W. Lockwood, Mayor, 1938-
Fifth Annual Azalea Festival--Vice President John N. Garner, Mayor Barnet R. Maybank, and Governor Olin D. Johnston.
Fifth Annual Azalea Festival--Mayor Burnet R. Maybank crowns Festival Queen, Miss Dorothy Moore, of Florence.
Miss Charleston of the 1938 Azalea Festival and some of the members of her court.
James H. Dingle, City Engineer
John P. Sullivan, Chief Clerk, Assessing Division
Negroes cull through debris of their homes in the Gadsden Green section.
Torn asunder as if by internal explosion, this residence is typical of the damage in the Gadsden Green section.
A damaged piano, and a perpendicular bed spring give mute evidence of the force of the blow.
Cleaved as if by a giant meat cutter, the side of this residence in the Gadsden Green section lies against the adjacent house.
The mass of sticks and splinters which was the two story frame store of John M. Rousso, southeast corner of Rutledge and Race.
Ruins of the rectory of Sacred Heart Parish Church.
Residences in Lilly Court collapsed like piles of building blocks.
Homes completely demolished in the Gadsden Green section.
Residences on Murray Boulevard, west of King, where one of the tornadoes first struck the city.
The overturned automobile and the damaged roofs and porches indicated the force of the blow on South Battery, just west of King.
The gaping hole in historic St. Michael's Church, viewed from City Hall park.
The City Hall, shortly after the tornado
The City Hall park and the Timrod Inn, as they appeared a few hours after the tornado.
The damaged pilasters and roof of the Huguenot Church are apparent here.
The Sing Lee Laundry, 133 King Street.
Chalmers Street, looking westward toward Hibernian Hall.
Panoramic view of tornado damage as seen from the roof of the United States Custom House, East Bay and Market Street.
Laborers search the ruins of 45 State Street, where six persons were killed (scanned).
A soldier stands guard as workmen attempt to salvage the damanged building at I. M. Pearlstine & Sons, southwest corner of East Bay and Cumberland Streets.
Bales of damaged cotton lay bare to the elements at the warehouse of the City Compress and Warehouse Company, eastern end of Charlotte Street.
Paths of the five tornadoes.
Workmen dig into the ruins of the building at the southwest corner of East Bay and Market Streets, which housed the Charleston Paper Company on the first floor, with living quarters above.
The Sullivan's Island-Fort Moultrie float passes down King Street in the Annual Azalea Festival Parade, and one of the visiting queens follows in a jinrikisha (scanned).
Charleston's City Hall and Fireproof Building, showing trees of Washington Park, which replaced those damaged by 1938 tornado.
New bird house at Hampton Park.
Charleston Incinerator, showing loaded trucks on ramp (scanned).
Wraggborough Homes. Some of the buildings to be demolished for the new project (scanned).
Mary and Drake Streets looking north. Some of the buildings to be demolished for the Wraggborough Homes Project (scanned).
A view of Hampton Park's sunken garden.
Front entrance to the new Student Activities Building of the College of Charleston.
Rear view of the new College of Charleston Student Activities Building, showing tennis court donated by John B. Farrow.
Ansonborough Homes. Some of the buildings to be demolished for the new housing project.
Ansonborough Homes, showing some of the neat structures which have replaced unsightly wooden tenements (scanned).
West side of Franklin Street showing entrance to Cromwell Alley [27-41 Franklin Street]. All of the wooden buildings will be demolished and the brick building at the far right is to be remodeled as a part of the Robert Mills Manor extension (scanned).
Robert Mills Manor. A birds-eye view of a portion of the area shown in the previous picture, but taken six months later.
Miss Margaret Welch, Charleston's 1939 Azalea Festival Queen.
Miss Carolina Palm of Greenville, selected by Earl Carroll, Hollywood producer, as Queen of the 1939 Azalea Festival.
Robert Mills Manor Housing Project in course of construction (scanned).
Rear view of Old Marine Hospital Building showing its restoration (scanned).
Front view of Old Marine Hospital Building, now used as office for Robert Mills Manor housing project (scanned).
Prospect of Charles Town, 1739.
The City Council of Charleston, inaugurated, December 18, 1939.
A bank of Azaleas in Hampton Park.
Wisteria and Dogwood in Hampton Park.
Grove Street, looking eastward from Tenth Avenue [212-196 Grove Street] (scanned).
St. Margaret Street, westward from Eleventh Avenue [89 St. Margaret, 93 St. Margaret, 101 St. Margaret] (scanned).
Poplar Street, eastward from Hester Street [197-211 Poplar Street] (scanned).
Completed in 1940, the Charleston County Hall fills the long felt need for a large auditorium and convention hall [1000 King Street] (scanned).
Scenes of Charleston's Municipal Swimming Pool, which enjoyed a banner season in 1940.
Scenes from Charleston's Playgrounds in 1940.
Auditorium of College of Charleston Student Activities Building, formally opened in 1940 (scanned).
Rear view of College of Charleston Student Activities Building, showing concrete tennis courts, donated by John B. Farrow.
Foyer and stairs of College of Charleston Student Activities Building, completed at a total cost of $218,000 (scanned).
Negro dwellings on Marsh Street, which were torn down to provide the site for the Ansonborough Homes Housing Project (scanned).
A scene in Beaufort Court, one of the unsanitary negro alleys which was blotted out by the construction of the Wraggborough Homes Housing Project.
Queen of the 1940 Azalea Festival, Miss Ernestine Sitton, of Easley.
Building at Northwest corner of Broad and King Streets, believed to be the place where Dr. Lining made his weather.
Dr. Robert Wilson, 1736-1815, one of the founders of Medical Society of South Carolina, organized in 1789.
David Ramsay, M.D.
Joseph Johnson, M.D.
Ansonborough Homes Project, seen from Calhoun Street, with the new buildings of the Charleston Shipbuilding & Drydock Company in the left background (scanned).
Charleston's newest professional sport. Some of the early arrivals at one of Charleston's Sally League baseball games at College Park.
The Charleston Navy Yard launches another fighting ship for Uncle Sam. The U.S.S. Hobson hits the waters September 8, 1941.
General view of a pier at the Charleston Navy Yard, showing work under way on two ships.
Calhoun and East Bay Street, showing cleared area through which East Bay will be extended to connect with Bay Street, giving eastern waterfront traffic quick access to the northern section of the city (scanned).
Lower Rutledge Avenue, showing the roadway improved by the State Highway Department in connection with the new state highway "belt line" around the city [20 Rutledge, 18 Rutledge, 16 Rutledge, 14 Rutledge, 12 Rutledge, 10 Rutledge] (scanned).
Another new residence in the northwest section. Residence of Jesse W. Orvin, at Maple and Hester Streets [164 Maple Street] (scanned).
A new home in the fast developing Northwestern section. The residence of G. M. Canaday, 165 Maple Street (scanned).
White Point Gardens, with the Memorial to the Confederate Defenders of Fort Sumter in the foreground.
A view of Hampton Park, as seen through the trees from the Mary Murray Memorial Driveway.
Hampton Park Azaleas in bloom.
The New Clubhouse at the Charleston Municipal Golf Course (scanned).
The Gadsden Green Homes Housing Project, as seen from President Street (scanned).
George Washington. (Trumbull-1791)
General Zachary Taylor (by Beard)
General P. G. T. Beauregard (by Healy)
John C. Calhoun (by Healy)
President James Monroe (by Morse)
General Andrew Jackson (by Vanderlyn)
Recreation room at Charleston's USO club, Meeting and George Streets.
The Charleston Navy Yard--Two destroyer escorts, U.S.S. James E. Craig and U.S.S. Eichenberger.
Meeting of portion of Navy Yard personnel during Labor Day celebration 1942.
Activities at Inshore Patrol Base, established at James F. Byrnes Seaplane base, leased by City to United States of America.
Charleston Shipbuilding and Drydock Company. The Fleet Tug, U.S.S. Arapaho, slides down the ways June 22, 1942.
New apartment house at Grove Street and Eighth Avenue.
Personnel and equipment of the Charleston Volunteer Fire Department.
The Charleston Volunteer Fire Department plays its hoses on Colonial Lake.
View of sunken garden at Hampton Park.
Charleston Municipal Yacht Basin, showing area paved by City during 1942 for the convenience of boat owners (scanned).
Norman Street, looking northward from Alway, showing new concrete paving laid by Housing Authority (scanned) [Gadsden Green Housing Project].
The "Bedstead Tomb" in St. Michael's Graveyard.
The "Old Powder Magazine" in Cumberland Street.
Ichnography of Charles-Town, showing first magazine on Old Burial Ground. [Reproduction from 1884 Year Book.]
Plat showing location of 1737 Magazine.
Plat showing location of second magazine on Public Grounds near Work House.
Plat showing location of Magazine on Hobcaw Point.
Plat showing location of Magazine on Charleston Neck.
Magazine on Laurel Island. Robert Mills Building.
The High School [of Charleston] Buildings: (1) 59 Society St. [55 Society], first permanent building (1841-1880); (2) N.W. George and Meeting Streets (1881-1922); (3) 147 Rutledge Avenue, original building (1922-1931); (4) 147 Rutledge Avenue, remodeled (1931 to present) (scanned).
Henry M. Bruns--Principal, 1839-1864
Virgil C. Dibble--Principal, 1872-1899
W.M. Whitehead--Principal, 1899-1919
R.V. Royal, Principal, 1919-1927
Thos. F. Mosimann, Principal, 1927-1934
Henry O. Strohecker, Principal, 1934 to present
New City Administration which took office December 20, 1943.
Central building, James F. Byrnes Seaplane Base, leased by city to United States of America for the inshore patrol activities.
Auditorium at new USO club, George and Meeting Streets.
New asphalt plant constructed by the City.
New Police Cruisers placed in service in 1944.
Azaleas in bloom at Hampton Park.
Building at Hampton Park converted into Girl Scout hut (scanned).
A Platt of Charles Town [1725]
Ichnography of Charleston, South Carolina, at the request of Adam Tunno, Esq. for the use of the Phoenix Fire Company of London, taken from actual survey, 2d August 1899, by Edmund Petrie.
Plan of Charleston, S.C., 1849.
Map of the City of Charleston, S.C., 1942.
The Ralph Izard Hatchment, St. James's, Goose Creek.
St. James's Church, Goose Creek
A Dutch Mortuary Board--the hatchment of a widow.
The Mayor and a Group of City Officials.
Captain William Hall (1759-1814)
1947 Commodore Abraham Whipple (1733-1819), by Edward Savage (1761-1817)
Map of Charleston, 1780, showing the ships sunk across the channel of Cooper River, by Commodore Abraham Whipple.
The Frigate SOUTH CAROLINA from a water-color "A.D. 1793 By Jon. Phippen," in the Peabody Museum, Salem, Massachusetts.
John Mayrant (1762-1836) Midshipman and Lieutenant in the South Carolina Navy.
City Council inaugurated December 15, 1947.
Members of City Council inducted into office on December 14, 1931.
Cannon Street extension to Ashley River Bridge.
Section of the New Rockville Road.
View of the City Dump before erection of the municipal incinerator.
Municipal Incinerator
Municipal Swimming Pool at George St. (Two photos).
City of Charleston Pay Warrants, issued as an emergency measure, during 1932 and 1933.
Municipal Yacht Basin, located on the Ashley River. (Two photos).
Fire Engine Station No. 9, erected on King Street, north of Simons Street [1095 King Street] (scanned).
Modern Prison Farm, located on city owned pine land property to the north of Charleston (scanned).
Colored Swimming Pool on President Street (scanned).
New auditorium and fair building, erected at Johnson Hagood Stadium (scanned).
The Charleston Azalea Festival, held annually in April.
Municipal Airport


NOTE: No images in the following yearbooks: 1888, 1891, 1892, 1895, 1896, 1900, 1909, 1910, 1913, 1915, 1917, 1919, 1923, 1924, 1925, 1926 yearbook, 1927, 1928, 1929, 1930, 1945, 1949-51. There may not have been a yearbook published in 1931.
Subjects Indexes
Related Records Show Related Records...
Object ID # 2007.002.0038