|Title||147-151 Church Street (O.G. Marjenhoff Bakery Supplies)|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
O.G. Marjenhoff's wholesale bakery was situated at 147-151 Church Street, nearly opposite St. Philip's Episcopal Church. Mr. Marjenhoff started business at this place in 1867. The earthquake of 1886 almost entirely destroyed his residence and bakery but he instantly purchased the place to the north of his property to enlarge his place, and built a 3-story double store--one for wholesale and the other for retail purposes. The site is now a parking lot for St. Philip's Church.
File contains excerpt from publication (book?) (title & publication date not indicated) with brief description and photo; Sanborn maps from 1884-1955; image (enlarged) from advertisement in Cooke Howard & Co. Pocket Map and Business Guide (featured on this record); description of O.G. Marjenhoff wholesale bakery company with photo from "Resources & Attractions of Charleston" (ca. 1898); photocopy of a 1900 statement for O.G. Marjenhoff, Breads, Crackers, Confectionery, Bakers' Utensils and Supplies, Cigars and Fireworks (147, 149, 151 Church Street).
No photos on file.
Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston
Demolished buildings, lost buildings
|Physical Description||1 File Folder|
|Related Records||Show Related Records...|
|Object ID #||CHURCH.147-151.1|