|Title||20 Church Street (William Holmes House)|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
Constructed ca. 1809; restored mid-20th century. Prior to the building of the present home, this and the two parcels to the north were occupied by tenements built by Edward Fenwick, of Fenwick Hall Plantation. The adjacent tenements burned before 1785, leaving only the kitchen houses. This large single house was erected by 1809. The typical 3½-story Charleston single house, ornamented with stucco quoining and elaborate belt courses as well as a projecting pediment on the south side, still has an early-Neoclassical piazza door screen with a rectangular fanlight. As Holmes lived elsewhere, the 1809 directory lists James Ancrum as the resident on this property.
File contains FOHG house history (2001); FOHG history of the garden (1973); other narrative histories (undated, unattributed); HCF correspondence regarding the installation of a new garden (1995).
|Subjects||Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston|
|Physical Description||1 File Folder|
|Related Records||Show Related Records...|
|Object ID #||CHURCH.020.01|