|Object ID #||CHURCH.143-145.1|
|Title||143-145 Church Street (Alexander Peronneau Tenements (a/k/a Pirate Houses)|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
Constructed ca. 1740; restored 1920s. Two of Charleston's earliest townhouses, these buildings, 2½ stories and two rooms deep, are largely constructed of Bermuda stone, a coquina stone imported from the Caribbean. Early research indicates that merchant Alexander Perronneau built the buildings as investments, probably after the fire of 1740. The structure at 143-145 Church is an example of a double tenement. It was heavily "restored" in the 1920s by Mrs. R. Goodwyn Rhett with the assistance of Thomas Pinckney, an African-American builder trained in Charleston's masonry traditions. They added the Neoclassical Revival style door surrounds and the shutters. Also known as The Pirate Houses.
File contains FOHG house history for 145 Church Street (1976); article about the restorations; newspaper article (DYKYC) (poor copy); house history from Information for Guides of Historic Charleston; Country Life article (1929) about its restoration.
|Subjects||Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston|
|Physical Description||1 File Folder|
|Related Records||Show Related Records...|