|Object ID #||CHURCH.115.1|
|Title||115 Church Street|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
Constructed as a law office in 1946 in the "art moderne" style with rounded corners, flat roof, and minimal ornamentation, replacing an old stable. Changes occurred in 1960s, architect/contractor unknown, and with those changes came an entirely new look. The original Church Street facade was almost completely redone except for the original doorway. What replaced it was a boxy and unadorned look. Renovated again in the mid-1990s by architects Dan Beaman and Jerry English who sought a scale that would step down from Broad Street, with a design with classical overtones, resulting in a facade with four pilasters and entablature with a strictly classical look. Recipient of a Preservation Society Carolopolis award for the renovation. The building remains a law office.
File contains newspaper articles including "Modernistic Office Building Replaces Old Church St. Stable" (1946, with photo) and one by Robert Behre on building's "new look," illustrated with photos from 1946, 1960s, and 1990s (date of article not noted but ca. 2000) (source of history noted above).
Needs further research.
|Subjects||Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston|
|Physical Description||1 File Folder|