|Object ID #||ASHLEY.076.001|
|Title||76 Ashley Avenue (John Hume Simons House)|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
Constructed ca. 1855. The children of wealthy Santee River rice planters John Hume Simons and his wife Mary Hume Lucas, built this enormous 3½ story brick townhouse at the corner of Wentworth Street and Ashley Avenue by 1855. The house follows a double-house plan and retains Greek Revival plaster marble mantels, 14-foot ceilings, and many of its original features. Its Flemish bond exterior has fine white line pointing. Pressed metal pedimented window heads were added to the street elevations in the late-19th century. The closed gable roof has a lunette window surmounting two smaller windows, while wide pedimented dormers ornament each side of the roof on the north and south. The house was used during the siege of the city of 1864 for the congregation of Saint Mary's Roman Catholic Church. Remaining a single-family residence throughout its history, the building was purchased in 1961 by Mr. and Mrs. Emmet Robinson, founders of The Footlight Players, Charleston's local theater group.
File contains HCF staff research notes.
|Subjects||Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston|
|Physical Description||1 File Folder|
|Related Records||Show Related Records...|