|Object ID #||BROAD.114.001|
|Title||114 Broad Street (Col. Thomas Pinckney House)|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
Constructed ca. 1829. Ralph Izard Jr. acquired this site before his death in 1824. Passing into his sister's estate, the property was sold to Col. Thomas Pinckney in 1829 with an "unfinished house." Pinckney, whose father owned 14 George Street, completed the present T-shaped, 2½ story brick dwelling, with construction assistance from the Horlbeck Brothers, by 1829. Standing on a high basement, which is supported on the interior by groin vaulting, a stone columned front portico projects from the tinted red brick facade. Marble lintels surmount the triple sash front windows and there is a gable roof with a lunette window in the transom. A plat of 1829 depicts the U-shaped line of dependencies, including stables, kitchen, and slave quarters, a portion of which survives. Pinckney spent the winter social season in this house, particularly in the upstairs parlor where satin damask curtains, rosewood sofas, Wilton carpets, and double chandeliers provided a grand space for the elaborate entertaining which characterized Charleston society. He served his guests from his extensive wine cellar in the basement. Pinckney kept most of his 190 slaves on his rice lands at Fairfield Plantation on the Santee River, where he spent the fall and early spring. He summered at Altamont, his farm in South Carolina's Pendleton district. The Pinckney family retained title to the site until 1866, when his daughter, Rosetta Ella Izard, sold it to the Roman Catholic bishop of Charleston. It has since remained as the residence for Charleston's bishops. The house is one of the finest examples of the Classical Revival style in the city.
File contains HCF Federal Architecture Tour house history (1994); SC Historical Society tour house history (1972); narrative history (Poston?); narrative history (Mary Alma Parker); house history from Information for Guides of Historic Charleston (1984); building history from Architectural Guide to Charleston (by Simons & Thomas); Preservation Progress article about plaque award (May 1968); photocopy of plat of house and dependencies (1829); photocopy of excerpt from Charleston Then and Now (Rhett & Steele); correspondence about Diocese's restoration plans (1990).
|Subjects||Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston|
|Physical Description||1 File Folder|
|Related Records||Show Related Records...|