|Object ID #||BROAD.016.001|
|Title||16 Broad Street (Second Bank of the United States Building)|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
Constructed 1817; addition 1850. This 2-story stucco building was erected to house the Second Bank of the United States, but after that institution's closure in 1834, it was acquired by the Bank of Charleston. The simple Neoclassical facade is accented by a pediment with its original carved and gilded oak eagle. On its interior the main banking room retains its elaborate Rococo Revival plaster cornice. The north wing, designed by Edward C. Jones in 1850, still houses the building's original boardroom, a splendid space with Italianate and Rococo Revival detailing, including marbleized pilasters supporting an arcaded cove and ceiling. The present bank complex also incorporates several other important buildings including 2 State Street, 14 Broad Street, built in 1799 but twice remodeled, and 12 Broad Street, a circa 1783 structure with a granite, pilastered facade in the Greek Revival style added in 1839.
File contains typed historical/research notes about the building, including information presumably prepared by the bank itself; National Register Nomination Form; building history from Tour Guide Training Manual (2011).
Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston
Bank buildings--South Carolina--Charleston
National Register of Historic Places
|Physical Description||1 File Folder|
|Related Records||Show Related Records...|