|Object ID #||ANSON.082.001|
|Title||82 Anson Street (Mary Smith House)|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
Constructed ca. 1799; moved to its present location from 86 Anson Street in 1967; restored 1973. One of Charleston's wealthiest 18th century merchants, Josiah Smith, leased and subsequently conveyed this house an its former lot to his daughter, Mary Smith, in 1799. The building is a tall brick Charleston single house, formerly situated on a lot 100 feet north of its present site. It was moved in 1967, out of the path of the city's extension of George Street east from Anson Street to connect with East Bay Street, in conjunction with the construction of the Gaillard Auditorium. The dwelling is now arranged to face a large garden that fronts on Laurens Street. Although the house had suffered since passing out of the Smith family in 1869, its Federal interior remained largely intact and was partially restored by HCF, with the remainder of the work completed by a new owner in 1973.
Two files contain documentation of the covenant on the property; annual inspection reports; requests for alterations; blueprints; correspondence and other documentation related to the sale and/or management of the property and/or of the covenant itself; historical/research information; newspaper articles (including DYKYC); correspondence related to the relocation of the building; copy of HCF easement information card (TMS number, year of construction, significant resident(s), deed research, deed restrictions, measurements, and tax information); Rosen and Associates inspection report (1996); excerpt from graduate student thesis (Keller, 2011); building history from City of Charleston Tour Guide Training Manual (2011).
See Covenant/Easement Inspection Photo Files for inspection photography.
|Subjects||Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston|
Ansonborough Rehabilitation Project (ARP)
1 Covenant/Management Folder
1 History/Miscellaneous Folder
|Related Records||Show Related Records...|