|Title||88 Broad Street (Hebrew Orphanage)|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
Constructed before 1811, this site was sold to the Trescott family in 1804, at which time it was already occupied by "the Director of the Branch Bank of the United States of America." The Bank moved and Trescott rented the structure on the site to the Bank of South Carolina. 88 Broad Street was sold to the Hebrew Orphan Society in 1833. It served residential purposes briefly, primarily as meeting rooms and a school. After Beth Elohim Synagogue was lost in the Ansonborough fire of 1838, the congregation used the building for services until completion of the new synagogue in 1840. The front facade is dominated by a central pavilion surmounted by a pediment with a lunette window. The principal door is flanked by engaged Corinthian columns. On the interior, the principal rooms are trimmed with woodwork which may date after the acquisition of the property by the Orphan Society. The rear stairhall projection, however, includes original, neoclassical detailing in the cornice and frieze and in the stairhall. The Hebrew Orphanage was somewhat altered in the mid-20th century. (Also known as the Old Jewish Orphanage.)
File contains history of the building from Vernacular Architecture of Charleston & the Lowcountry (1994); history of the building from the City of Charleston Tour Guide Training Manual (2011); Historic American Building Survey (HABS) data sheets, with building history and photos; two sets of HABS drawings dated 1934 and ca. mid-1990s (reduced-sized photocopies of BROAD.088.004 and 005); newspaper article; brief description of the Hebrew Orphan Society (City of Charleston Tour Guide Training Manual).
|Physical Description||1 File Folder|
|Related Records||Show Related Records...|
|Object ID #||BROAD.088.001|