|Object ID #||CHURCH.158.1|
|Title||158 Church Street|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
Present building constructed ca. 1867. Grand Modell Lot 218 granted to Joseph Pendarvis, presently 158 Church Street, in 1694. Conveyed to a number of others after 1697. By 1854, there were four small brick buildings on the site owned by John Molony, which were destroyed in the fire of 1861. Lot remained vacant until ca. 1867, as by 1868, mortgage documents describe the property as having buildings on it. The main building was originally a grocery on the 1st floor and family residence on the 2nd floor. James Molony, son of John (and Mary), operated a grocery store and saloon on the ground floor, the saloon becoming Charleston's first Irish bar. James operated the business until 1910 when he retired. The 1st floor of the building had been leased by the Molony family to different businesses until 1919. To date (2007), it has been operated as Bocci's Italian Restaurant. Structure is a 3-story brick building with 2-story kitchen wing. Church Street facade retains original storefront with 4 segmental-arched openings. Greek Revival influence from 1850s and 1860s, with elements of Italianate architecture.
File contains graduate student report (2005) on the history of the building/property, including chain-of-title and maps.
No photos on file. Image in this record from document in the Property File.
Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston
|Physical Description||1 File Folder|