|Title||61 Ashley Avenue (Richard Peyton House)|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
Constructed 1803-07. Richard Peyton, a merchant who kept an office at the Custom House, built this dwelling on a site purchased in 1803 from Thomas Corbett, a Harleston relative. Tradition holds that the house, set far from the street behind a paneled stucco wall and front wooden fence, was intended to be the dependency building for a larger residence which was never completed. Nonetheless, the quality of the existing structure, particularly the surviving Neoclassical woodwork, indicates the building was constructed as a principal residence. A stable and carriage house probably dating 1830-50 stands on the Beaufain Street side. Passing through a series of owners, the house belonged in the 1840s to Robert Martin, owner of 16 Charlotte Street. After being sold in 1879 to the Bruns family, the building underwent substantial renovation with the addition of a double-tiered octagonal front bay and two-over-two windows. A Victorian style parterre probably dates from the mid-nineteenth century and incorporates beds in the shapes of hearts, periwinkles and ovals.
File contains newspaper article from 5/30/1970, "Later Additions Altered Appearance of Early House"; realtor's description with color photograph (undated); page from Charleston Gardens describing garden, with illustration.
|Subjects||Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston|
Loutrel Briggs garden
|Physical Description||1 File Folder|
|Related Records||Show Related Records...|
|Object ID #||ASHLEY.061.001|