|Title||28 Chapel Street (Elias Vanderhorst House)|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
Constructed ca. 1832; rehabilitated 1983; partially restored 1990s. Built as a suburban villa by a member of the wealthy Vanderhorst family, the stuccoed brick house stands 2 stories above a raised basement and has a piazza approached on the main floor by a double, semicircular, brownstone staircase with a wrought-iron balustrade. A dogtooth corniced pediment projects from the center of the gable roof. After its conversion to apartments before WWII, the Vanderhorst House became a neighborhood eyesore. Rehabilitated as apartments with tax incentives in 1983, the house was partially restored as a private residence in the 1990s. Although the fluted Doric columns of the front piazza remain, the original front windows, semicircular door transoms, and a lunette window in the pediment did not survive the early 20th century changes.
File contains brief narrative history from An Architectural Guide to Charleston; house history from City of Charleston Tour Guide Training Manual (2011); excerpt from the book On the Eve of the Charleston Renaissance; HCF staff research notes; newspaper articles including DYKYC; Rosen and Associates inspection report (2007).
|Subjects||Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston|
Mazyckborough and Wraggborough
|Physical Description||1 File Folder|
|Related Records||Show Related Records...|
|Object ID #||CHAPEL.028.01|