|Object ID #||BROAD.067-69.001|
|Title||67-69 Broad Street (Mansion House Hotel Annex a/k/a John Hume House)|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
Constructed 1758-65; restored and rehabilitated 1973-74. Constructed by merchant John Hume, the son of a wealthy Goose Creek planter, this 3-story brick building with a side-passage originally housed a shop on the first floor and a residence above. A now-demolished outbuilding served as a winter studio for the American painter and inventor Samuel F.B. Morse in 1820. In the 19th century the main building was the annex of the popular Jones or Mansion House Hotel, located next door to the west and since demolished. The ground story with rusticated detailing dates from a 1970s rehabilitation that returned the original side entrance.
File contains narrative house history dated 1976 (author/source unknown), presumably for FOHG; building history from Information for Guides of Historic Charleston (1984); building history from City of Charleston Tour Guide Training Manual (2011); typewritten historical and title research notes; newspaper articles about the restoration of the building; photocopies of newspaper notices (various dates in 1820) regarding the paintings and comings-and-goings of Mr. Morse.
|Subjects||Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston|
|Physical Description||1 File Folder|
|Related Records||Show Related Records...|