Historic Charleston Foundation logo

images banner
images banner small

Archive Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Title 267-277 Calhoun Street (Calhoun Securities Row Houses)
Object Type Property File
Scope & Content Constructed 1910-12. Halsey Lumber Company, which built the houses at 129-135 Ashley Avenue, subdivided these lots and conveyed them to Calhoun Securities in 1910, on land that was historically part of Bennett's Mill Pond that was filled in in the early 1900s. Originally 8 houses were constructed, but only 5 survive. The salesman Levi Boland built his own house at 267 Calhoun Street, which reflects the new Colonial Revival style with some hold-over Queen Anne features. A semicircular arch in the projecting front gable end gives access to the principal entry, while a front porch with double columns wraps from Calhoun Street to the Ashley Avenue side of the building. Calhoun Securities completed the other houses more simply with small front porches, projecting bays, hipped roofs, and hipped dormers.

File contains newspaper articles including DYKYC; handwritten (staff) research notes; house history from Information for Guides of Historic Charleston; Rosen and Associates (engineers) inspection report for 271 Calhoun Street (1999).
Subjects Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston
Search Terms Calhoun Street
Harleston Village
Physical Description 1 File Folder
Related Records Show Related Records...
Object ID # CALHOUN.267-277.01