Historic Charleston Foundation logo

images banner
images banner small

Archive Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Object ID # ALEXANDER.126.001
Title 126 Alexander Street (Cordt Dieckhoff House)
Object Type Property File
Scope & Content Constructed ca. 1867. Cordt Dieckhoff was a German grocer who built this 3-story masonry structure with flat roof on the site where a 3-story frame house had been destroyed by a fire caused by the explosion and burning of the Northeastern Railroad Depot across the street at Chapel and East Bay Streets. Dieckhoff purchased the lot with a loan from the City under the "Ordinance to aid in Rebuilding the Burnt Districts and Waste Places of the City," and built the main building as his store and residence, and the 2-story rear building as an outbuilding or tenement. After 1882, the small 1-story frame house was added to the rear yard as a tenement. Retains evidence of its early first-floor storefront and an enclosed piazza screen. Pressed metal window hoods and cornice add architectural distinction to this mixed-use building. (Source: Information for Guides of Historic Charleston)

File contains handwritten (staff) research sources notes, with short house history attached.
Subjects Historic buildings
Stores and shops
Search Terms Mazyckborough and Wraggborough
Corners, corner stores
Alexander Street
Physical Description 1 File Folder
Related Records Show Related Records...