|Title||27 Archdale Street (German Friendly Society Kitchen)|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
Constructed ca. 1802. John Horlbeck Jr. and Henry Horlbeck, builders. Charleston's German fraternal society, founded in 1766, built a grand hall at this address, completed before the end of 1801, and soon after undertook the construction of a 36-by-16 foot stuccoed brick kitchen on the site. The main hall burned in the 1864 fire that engulfed this portion of the street, but the kitchen survived. In its rehabilitation as apartments some years ago, certain features were lost, and its tile roof has long since been replaced. On another portion of the property, a mariner, Jacob Francis, purchased the lot at 25 Archdale Street in 1884 and constructed a typical 19th century style Charleston single house. John Muller restored both houses in recent years as rental properties.
File contains newspaper articles (DYKYC).
Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston
German Friendly Society (Charleston, S.C.)
|Physical Description||1 File Folder|
|Object ID #||ARCHDALE.027.001|