|Object ID #||ASHLEY.178.001|
|Title||178 Ashley Avenue (Wickliffe House a/k/a John Hume Lucas House)|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
Constructed 1850-52; restored 1977. This 2-story, hipped-roof house follows a typical side-hall, double-parlor floor plan seen in all of Charleston's 19th century suburban neighborhoods. The dwelling, however, includes elements of mid-19th century grandeur that individualize the property from most of its neighbors. Jonathan Hume Lucas, a rice planter and engineer, built the house between 1850, when he bought the land, and 1852, when he is listed as residing at the Ashley Avenue address. The most distinctive element of the house is the giant order portico as a side porch element instead of traditional double-tiered piazzas. Another detail distinctive of the mid-19th century is the sunken double staircase in the entrance hall, an example of which can be seen at the Aiken-Rhett House. The Aiken-Rhett House example, however, is an alteration to an earlier building, not planed in the original design, as in the case of the Wickliffe House. Restored by the Medical University of South Carolina (MUSC) as an alumni and faculty house, the dwelling is now named for its donor.
File contains FOHG house histories (undated) and other brief narrative history; chain-of-title research; and newspaper article, "MUSC Will Restore Old Mansion," dated 8/8/1977.
|Subjects||Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston|
Radcliffeborough and Cannonborough
|Physical Description||1 File Folder|
|Related Records||Show Related Records...|