|Title||173 Broad Street (Prioleau-Miles House)|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
Constructed ca. 1873. Although built by a member of the Prioleau family, this house was acquired in the 1880s by C. Richardson Miles, a South Carolina attorney general and president of the College of Charleston Trustees. Considered a pillar of Charleston's "old guard,'' Miles was eulogized at his death as "bending his best efforts towards preserving the essentials of good breeding and polite intercourse in the midst of change." Incorporating a mix of Queen Anne and Colonial Revival style detailing, the house has an entry that is capped by a large bracketed pediment while an adjacent cross gable with square and bowed bay windows projects from the front facade. A front balustraded balcony curves to the west and joins a double-tiered Ionic-columned piazza. The side-hall-plan building contains 23 rooms.
File contains FOHG house histories (1994, 2006).
No image on file.
|Subjects||Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston|
|Physical Description||1 File Folder|
|Object ID #||BROAD.173.001|