|Object ID #||ANSON.091.001|
|Title||91 Anson Street (St. John's Reformed Episcopal Church)|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
Church constructed 1850 with alterations in 1887; rectory and school constructed ca. 1850, 1887; garden established 1991. Possessing a most diverse history, the Gothic Revival church on this site has served slave and free black Presbyterians, Irish Catholics, and, more recently, African American Reformed Episcopalians. The Presbyterians constructed the building as the Anson Street Chapel for black members who later moved to Calhoun Street. A rectory was established in the older single house next door. The church building was heavily damaged by shells in the siege of Charleston. Initially repaired in 1866, the chancel, roof, and interior were rebuilt in 1883 with the addition of transepts, a Gothic ceiling, and 14 stained glass windows. The board and batten school building next door was completed by 1887. The Diocese closed the church in 1965. Six years later the St. John's Reformed congregation acquired the property and occupies it now. The St. John's congregation has retained most of the structure's interior features, including stenciled decoration and gilded Gothic elements. The grounds of the church were dedicated in 1991 as a commemorative landscaped garden in honor of Philip Simmons, renowned ironworker. A "Heart Gate" designed by Simmons marks the entry to the space.
File contains brief narrative history of the church (probably FOHG, undated); Philip Simmons Garden brochure.
Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston
Philip Simmons ironwork
|Physical Description||1 File Folder|
|Related Records||Show Related Records...|