|Object ID #||CALHOUN.207.01|
|Title||207 Calhoun Street (Richard Brenan House)|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
Constructed ca. 1817; renovated as offices, mid-1970s. Built on lot 156, the northeast corner of the original Harleston Village, the 3½ story single house constructed by Richard Brenan survives despite demolitions of numerous dwellings in the rest of the block. Brenan, a merchant, had moved to this site by 1822. The building features well- detailed quoins and a west-facing pediment as well as a double-tiered piazza supported by Neoclassical-style Tuscan columns and screen with a pedimented architrave on the first floor. The house was purchased in 1835 by Nathaniel Russell Middleton, grandson of Nathaniel Russell, who was the city treasurer and later president of the faculty of the College of Charleston. Middleton and his wife lived here briefly, eventually transferring ownership to his widowed sister-in-law Alice Izard Heyward in 1844. Used as a parsonage by Bethel Methodist Church from 1881 until 1965, the building deteriorated for several years before being rehabilitated in the mid-1970s by a land-surveying firm. In this period the old dependency was rebuilt as an office addition.
File contains newspaper article (DYKYC).
|Subjects||Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston|
|Physical Description||1 File Folder|
|Related Records||Show Related Records...|