|Object ID #||QUEEN.018.1|
|Title||18 Queen Street (Daniel Cruickshank House)|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
Constructed after 1796; restored and renovated 1958. An early settler in Charleston, Jonathan Amory, took up a grant on this and several adjacent lots in 1694. The original building on the site probably burned in the fire of 1796. Daniel Cruickshank, a tanner, built this and probably the adjacent side of a double tenement with hipped roofs between 1796 and 1800. The 3-story single house retains segmental arched windows on the second and third stories surmounted by a simple stucco cornice and a pantile, hipped roof with a single dormer. The first floor of this typical single house was entered directly through a central door from the street and used as a tanner's shop. 18 Queen remained in the family of David Cruickshank until around 1860, and 1958 restoration work on the home revealed traces of salt residue and a large hook on the ground level (items used in preserving and hanging hides).
File contains FOHG house histories (early undated, 1995, 1997); newspaper article (1957 DYKYC); real estate sales brochure (2003).
|Subjects||Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston|
|Physical Description||1 File Folder|
|Related Records||Show Related Records...|