|Title||16 Charlotte Street (Robert Martin House)|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
Constructed 1834-35; renovated 1996. Robert Martin, a wealthy trader in upland cotton, purchased this lot from planter Thomas Milliken in 1834 for $2500. The lot, now 100 feet wide along Charlotte Street and 200 feet deep, differs from the original 1801 plat of Wraggborough. The 1835-36 City Directory lists Robert Martin, a factor, living on Charlotte Street, suggesting that construction had begun after his purchase of the property. Martin's house has a traditional central hall plan with 2 symmetrical rooms on each side of the entry and staircase hall. Set on a high brick basement, this house resembles many of the earlier plantation houses of the Carolina lowcountry with its piazza supported by massive Doric columns on the ground story and fluted Doric columns above. Paired dependencies at the rear form a domestic courtyard protected by a high brick wall from East Bay Street. The whole complex has been renovated as a law office.
File contains FOHG house history (1997); excerpt fromThe Vernacular Architecture of Charleston and the Lowcountry; brief article from Preservation Progress (June 1963); house history and realtor listing; newspaper articles (including 1984 DYKYC); house history from Information for Guides of Historic Charleston; architectural drawings (floor plans); 1985 plat; correspondence related shoddy restoration work being done on the house.
|Subjects||Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston|
Mazyckborough and Wraggborough
|Physical Description||1 File Folder|
|Related Records||Show Related Records...|
|Object ID #||CHARLOTTE.016.01|