|Object ID #||ARCHDALE.019.001|
|Title||19 Archdale Street (Philip Porcher House)|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
Constructed ca. 1773; renovated with additions ca. 1835; restored 1980-81, 1986-87. The facade of this 2-story frame dwelling with a hipped roof has had only slight changes since its construction in the 1770s. The piazza is an early addition. Access to the front chamber was originally, and is now, through a door in the center of the facade. However, this door was blocked when a piazza entrance was added in the early 1800s, an entry way that assumed a secondary role when the original entrance was reopened during a 1980s restoration. The house occupies a lot that stood outside the original walled city. Philip Porcher and his wife Mary received the lot from Mary's father, Isaac Mazyck, in 1765. Porcher bequeathed the house to his daughter Mary, who resided there until her death in 1835. The next owner, Augustus Theodore Gaillard, was probably responsible for some alterations to the interior's splendid 18th-century paneling.
File contains FOHG house history (1992); other house histories; newspaper articles (including 1939, 1957 DYKYC); and historical/research information, including an account of the land and house, abstract of title, Sanborn map; measured plan of first floor.
|Subjects||Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston|
|Physical Description||1 File Folder|
|Related Records||Show Related Records...|