|Title||129 Bull Street (Drayton-Girardeau House)|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
Constructed ca. 1822; altered ca. 1846. Rebecca Drayton, who married the builder of Drayton Hall when she was 16 years old, lived until the 1820s and apparently had her final residence on this site, which was sold by her executor in 1842. It is believed that the front Greek Revival portion and later Italianate style bays were built onto the Drayton residence. The house was sold in 1846 to the contractor-builder Louis Rebb, who probably made the first improvements. Rebb was the contractor for the remodeling of the Charleston Orphan House and for the Citadel Square Bapsits Church. In the antebellum period the house was owned by the Rev. John Lafayette Girardeau, a Presbyterian minister who served as a chaplain in the Civil War as well as pastor of white and black Presbyterian congregations.
File contains HCF staff research notes (scant). No house history on file.
|Subjects||Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston|
|Physical Description||1 File Folder|
|Related Records||Show Related Records...|
|Object ID #||BULL.129.01|