|Object ID #||ANSON.GEN.001|
|Title||Anson Street (General)|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
One of the boundaries of Ansonborough, the city's first borough or suburb. Named for Captain (later Admiral and Baron) George Anson.
From website, Charleston Streets: Anson Street, laid out in 1745-46 as part of the suburb of Ansonborough, originally extended between George and Centurion (now part of Society) streets. Scarborough Street, named for one of Lord Anson's ships, ran from George to Boundary (Calhoun) Street. To the south, Quince (named for Parker Quince, husband of Susannah Rhett) ran from Centurion to Pinckney, through Rhettsbury, and Charles Street (named for Charles Pinckney) ran from Pinckney to Market, through Colleton Square. By city ordinance, in 1805, Charles, Quince and Scarborough streets became part of Anson Street.
File contains general information about Anson Street addresses; photocopies of photographs of the southeast corner of Anson Street; Evening Post newspaper article, 12/6/1965, "Foundation Will Save Two Houses" re: houses at 114 Anson Street and 15 Wall Street being moved to the southeast corner of at Anson and Lauren Streets.
|Physical Description||1 File Folder|
|Related Records||Show Related Records...|