|Title||107 Ashley Avenue|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
Constructed ca. 1829. This large 3 and one-half story frame house on a high brick basement was built by Thomas Corbett, a planter, on land which his wife, the former Elizabeth Harleston, inherited from her father, John Harleston. The interior features a graceful winding stair in the north projection. (Source: information for Charleston historic tour guides)
Up until about 1916, the garden extended from the main house to Bull Street. The buildings to the north were servants' quarters and stable buildings. Francis J. Pelzer was one of its prominent occupants; his initials are etched in the glass of the front door and the house has become known as the "Francis J. Pelzer House." The story is that the staircase was omitted from the original house plan, leading to the unusual outside stairway arrangement--one with a landing that leads to the street, one which leads down from the piazza to the yard, and now a third entrance to the spiral stairway which leads to apartments above. (Source: FOHG house history)
File contains FOHG house histories ("old" and one outdated); house history from Information for Guides of Historic Charleston; HCF staff research notes; page from 5/1961 Preservation Progress which features interior photos of an apartment at 107 Ashley Ave.
No image on file. Image in this record from Guide to Charleston Illustrated, ca. 1875).
|Subjects||Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston|
|Physical Description||1 File Folder|
|Related Records||Show Related Records...|
|Object ID #||ASHLEY.107.001|