|Title||100 Broad Street|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
The original lot at this site was large and later divided into two lots now known as 98 and 100 Broad Street. It was owned by Dr. Alexander Garden, the prominent naturalist for whom the gardenia was named. Garden was a Tory and was forced to abandon the property when the British were ousted in 1782. The four-story brick residence was possibly constructed by Dr. Samuel Wilson who bought the property in 1822. In 1953, American Mutual Fire Insurance Co. bought the building, which was demolished for the construction of a two-story office building designed by Albert Simons. The American Mutual building was demolished ca. 1997 for the construction of the Judicial Center that stands on the site today; it references the early 19th c. building through architectural details such as the semicircular window in the gable.
File contains newspaper articles (1953-1997); excerpt from This is Charleston showing photo of the original building that was demolished for the construction of American Mutual Fire Insurance Co. building.
Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston
Demolished buildings, lost buildings
|Physical Description||1 File Folder|
|Related Records||Show Related Records...|
|Object ID #||BROAD.100.001|