Historic Charleston Foundation logo

images banner
images banner small

Archive Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Title 63 Beaufain Street (Theresa McHugh Tenement), 65 Beaufain Street (Richard Brenan Tenement), Currently Robert Mills Manor
Object Type Property File
Scope & Content 63 Beaufain Street (Theresa McHugh Tenement) was constructed ca. 1849. 65 Beaufain Street (Richard Brenan Tenement) was constructed ca. 1806-1816. Both structures reflect 19th century design in the tradition of the Charleston single house. Made of stuccoed brick, they have west facing piazzas on both the first and second floors. Tuscan columns support the piazzas and ventriculated quoins decorate the structure on 63 Beaufain. Sidelights and a glazed transom accentuate the main entry off of the piazza. The older of the 2 structures, 65 Beaufain, was constructed Richard Brenan. It is assumed that this property was used as a rental property by Brenan since the city directories of the period do not list him as a resident. 63 Beaufain, an almost identical structure architecturally, was probably constructed ca. 1849 by Theresa McHugh who apparently did not live in the structure and used it as a rental property. The 1861 census indicates that 2 men as well as slaves were renting the property from Ms. McHugh. Flanked by mid-20th century multi-unit brick dwellings, these two structures have been incorporated into the Richard Mills Manor Project, constructed 1939-1941 and designed by local architects Douglas Ellington, Simons and Lapham, and landscape architect Loutrel Briggs. The 34-unit Manor Project was one of the first in the Charleston area and is reflective of the creativity of Charlestonians in adapting the New Deal programs for low-income housing. The 2-story, gabled-roof brick structures were built in the form of those in other areas, bus in their materials and detailing as well as scale they seem like dependencies behind old Charleston houses, arranged in a courtyard fashion. This grouping, which replaced older, dilapidated structures along Beaufain, Magazine, Franklin, and Smith Streets, remain a residential complex for persons of fixed income today. The placement of these buildings forms an enclosed landscape which facilitates community activity in this area. In 1940, the Housing Authority of Charleston purchased 63 and 65 Beaufain Street and Incorporated them into the project, an important step to preserving the buildings as well as providing low-income housing, and providing an example of 20th century adaptive re-use of Charleston's early 19th century structures.

File contains building history from Vernacular Architecture of Charleston; historical and deed research notes; newspaper articles about proposed plans to renovate or sell as private dwellings (1980s); captioned newspaper photograph depicting Wilson Street as it appeared in 1908; Charleston Housing Authority site plan of Robert Mills Manor; minutes of HCF's Area Projects Committee regarding the pending study of the disposition of the Robert Mills Manor Housing Project (6/18/1985).
Subjects Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston
Search Terms Beaufain Street
Harleston Village
Adaptive reuse
Loutrel Briggs garden
Physical Description 1 File Folder
Related Records Show Related Records...
Object ID # BEAUFAIN.063-65.001