|Object ID #||CHURCH.127.1|
|Title||127 Church Street (Charles Mouzon House)|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
Constructed ca. 1815-25; renovated 1872; altered late-20th century. Charles Mouzon built this 2½ story stuccoed corner building shortly after acquiring the property in the early years of the 19th century. In 1872 E.H. Rickels renovated the building thoroughly, and 20th century owners have altered the structure even further. With its gable end to Church Street and 3 bays on each floor surmounted by a tripartite window, the building stretches along Chalmers Street. Mouzon apparently built the 2-story single house with weatherboarded siding at 129 Church Street at nearly the same time. Throughout much of the 19th century these two properties were held by the same owners, and for many years it served as a commercial establishment, undoubtedly with residential quarters on the upper 2 floors. Many independent artisans and laborers lived in the area and used the ground floors for their workshops. It is thought that this structure was the neighborhood bakery and was constructed in the late 1700s or early 1800s after the fire of 1796. Also referred to as 20 Chalmers Street.
File contains FOHG house history (1996); handwritten (staff) research notes (scant) and chain-of-title information (limited to 1931-1991); graduate student report (2006) on the history of the building, including chain-of-title and maps.
|Subjects||Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston|
|Physical Description||1 File Folder|
|Related Records||Show Related Records...|