Historic Charleston Foundation logo

images banner
images banner small

Archive Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Title 17 Chalmers Street (Pink House)
Object Type Property File
Scope & Content Constructed ca. 1712; restored 1930s. The Pink House, constructed of pinkish Bermuda stone, is the sole surviving alehouse from the bawdy colonial district that ran along Union or Chalmers Alley, as the eastern end of Chalmers Street was known until 1818. The gambrel roof, covered in pantiles, dating from the mid-18th century, appears to have been constructed while the chimney was being upgraded; the original roofline probably mirrored the gable roof of the small building to the west. A taverner owned the site in the 1750s and by the 1780s, it had passed to James Gordon. Wealthy Baltimoreans (Mr. and Mrs. Victor Morawetz) restored the building in the 1930s. Since the restoration, it has remained one of Charleston's landmarks. At various times it has served as the studio of painter Alice Ravenel Huger Smith, the site of Harry McInvaill's Pink House Press, Louis Lawson's Pink House Galleries, and the law office of Frank H. Bailey. (Source: Buildings of Charleston.)

File contains house histories from "Architectural Guide to Charleston," "Vernacular Architecture of Charleston and the Lowcountry," and "Information for Guides of Historic Charleston"; newspaper article (DYKYC, 1984); research notes; house history from HCF brochure; house history from "62 Famous Houses"; 1886 Earthquake damage assessment.
Subjects Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston
Search Terms Chalmers Street
Walled City
Physical Description 1 File Folder
Related Records Show Related Records...
Object ID # CHALMERS.017.01