|Title||15 Church Street (Snowden House)|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
Constructed ca. 1842; altered ca. 1887-1888. This, the third dwelling to stand on the site, was occupied in the antebellum period by Dr. William Snowden and his wife Amarinthia Yates and was used as a Confederate hospital during the War Between the States. The Snowdens fled to Columbia when shells struck the house during the bombardment of Charleston in 1864. Mrs. Snowden, who had been chief fundraiser for the Calhoun monument before the war, returned here in 1865. It was in this house that the meetings leading to the formation of the Ladies Memorial Association and The Confederate Home and College were held by Mrs. Snowden and her sister. The 2½ story, side-hall plan dwelling retains its original Flemish-bonded brickwork, entry door architrave, and double-tiered side piazzas. The present mansard roof was added during repairs following the earthquake of 1886.
House history refers to it as the Phillips-Snowden House.
File contains narrative history (1969); chain-of-title research; newspaper articles (including DYKYC); copy of 1829 marriage settlement between Isabel Sarah Yates and Joshua L. Snowden to David Yates and William Snowden referring to the wooden house and lot on the west side of Church Street.
Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston
Loutrel Briggs garden
|Physical Description||1 File Folder|
|Related Records||Show Related Records...|
|Object ID #||CHURCH.015.01|