|Object ID #||CHURCH.083-85.1|
|Title||83-85 Church Street (Cabbage Row/William Hendricks Tenements)|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
Constructed 1749-50; rehabilitated 1936. Similar to other paired houses in early Charleston, this 2-story, stuccoed double tenement with a central archway to the rear courtyard was originally constructed as a speculative venture by the Christ Church planter William Hendricks. Hendricks directed his executors in his 1749 will to complete his 2 brick tenements in Church Street and "also the back buildings thereto." Old 9-over-9 window sashes remain on the north tenement, but the 6-over-6 and 2-over-2 windows on the south tenement reflect later alterations. Visible through the archway, the original paired kitchen building with its massive central chimney was renovated in 1936 with a substantial addition for use as a winter residence by Mr. and Mrs. Reynolds Brown. The landscaping of the paved courtyard was completed at the same time. The Browns' rehabilitation of the kitchen building, furnished with family antiques, marked the beginning of a trend of renovating former dependencies in the city as showplace residences.
File contains FOHG house history (1974); brief narrative history (by Carter Hudgins); historical/chain-of-title research notes, including copies of deeds and a plat; newspaper articles about house being on tour (1948, 1949); supporting documents to a 2001(?) BAR submission for 83½ Church Street, including photos (original), floor plan, plat, and tax map [approval status not indicated]; supporting documents to a BAR submission for 83 and 85 Church Street to replace door, repair steps, and replace wrought iron gate (2004), including photos, east elevation drawing, drawing of proposed replacement gate [approved]; plat (1998(.
|Subjects||Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston|
|Physical Description||1 File Folder|
|Related Records||Show Related Records...|