|Object ID #||CHALMERS.029.01|
|Title||29 Chalmers Street (German Friendly Society)|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
The German Friendly Society was founded in 1766 but this building has been its headquarters, and that of the later Arion Society, only since 1942. (The Society was originally located at 27 Archdale Street.) The 3-story brick structure was formerly capped by a hipped roof with a glass monitor or square cupola. This building originally housed a Bible depository, a response to prevailing evangelical currents in the early 19th century, and retained that use until 1882 when the Carolina Art Association purchased the building as its headquarters. It housed the fledgling collection of the organization and also served as a studio until construction of the Gibbes Memorial Art Gallery began in 1905.
File contains building history from Information for Guides of Historic Charleston; correspondence from GFS secretary that provides a brief narrative history of the building (1990); newspaper articles (including DYKYC); documents submitted with BAR application (2005, shutter installation) including map, copies of photos, and 1828 and 1985 images (copies).
|Subjects||Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston|
|Physical Description||1 File Folder|
|Related Records||Show Related Records...|