|Object ID #||BURNS.019-21.01|
|Title||19-21 Burns Lane|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
Formerly known as Blackbird Alley, Burns Lane was established by 1801. Small tradesmen and laborers lived in Blackbird Alley through the 19th century. Most of the small dwellings have been removed, but the scale and finish of 20 Burns Lane are indicative of some of those buildings that were demolished. The Horlbeck family built this house before 1852, as well as the building at 22 Burns Lane, possibly an outbuilding to a Horlbeck house that faced Calhoun Street. The structure at 21 Burns Lane was built as an inexpensive tavern or brothel by 1820 and formerly contained more than ten fireplaces. As a tenement occupied by black families until the mid-20th century, the structure was renovated with additions by a developer in 1987.
File contains graduate student report on the history of the building, which includes historical and chain-of-title research, maps, photos, and other supporting documentation (Kymberly Mattern, 2015); Board of Zoning submission which includes documentation of the structure's current use, lot description, proposed use variance, and parking allowance, plat, architectural drawings; newspaper article (partial copy).
No photos on file. Image in this record from document in the Property File.
|Subjects||Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston|
|Physical Description||1 File Folder|