|Title||64-66 Anson Street (Chazal House)|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
Constructed ca. 1839; rehabilitated 1963. This dwelling was built soon after the Fire of 1838 by Elizabeth C. Chazal, widow of Jean Pierre Chazal, captain of a small privateer, the Saucy Jack, which captured some 40 British vessels during the War of 1812. The Chazals were a Santo Domingo French family who came to Charleston in 1794 after the slave insurrections on that island. Chazal had died by 1823 when Elizabeth Chazal and their two sons, John Phillip and Peter Augustus, purchased the lot where 66 Anson Street now stands for $1. They apparently did not build on the property until after the fire. Since the property passed to Dr. John Phillip Chazal (1814-1893) shortly after its construction, it had been believed that he was the builder. However, a descendant still possesses Mrs.Chazal's receipt book, which is written in French, Spanish and English. In it, Mrs. Chazal recorded the down payment and the fees for the dwelling's construction, clearly showing that she paid for it. Dr. Chazal was dean of the Medical College of South Carolina from 1877 to 1882. The house is built with Philadelphia red brick in a simple running bond with a flat parapet. There is a Tuscan columned piazza raised on brick piers and a Greek Revival piazza door screen. The current brick cornice is probably the result of post-1886 earthquake repair. The interior of the house is quite simple. The window and door architraves and other trim are of pine, as are the high midcentury mantles. In June 1960, it was conveyed to Historic Charleston Foundation, who sold the house along with the adjoining vacant lot to the south three years later.* (City of Charleston Tour Guide Training Manual.)
*HCF had 64 Anson Street was demolished ca. 1961 to create the vacant lot.
Two files contain documentation of the covenant on the property; documentation related to the sale and management of the property; documentation related to HCF's purchase and rehabilitation of the property; documentation related to the sale and/or management of the property including annual inspection reports and requests for alterations; house description from The Buildings of Charleston (1997); FOHG house history (date not indicated); newspaper article (DYKYC 1970); house history from Tour Guide Training Manual (2011); HCF property information card (TMS number, year of construction, residents pre-post HCF purchase, deed restrictions, measurements, and tax information); hand-drawn garden plan.
See Covenant/Easement Inspection Photo Files for inspection photography.
Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston
Lost architecture----South Carolina--Charleston
Ansonborough Rehabilitation Project (ARP)
Demolished buildings, lost buildings
1 Covenant/Management Folder
1 History/Miscellaneous Folder
|Related Records||Show Related Records...|
|Object ID #||ANSON.064-66.001|