|Title||167 Ashley Avenue (U.S. Arsenal/Porter Military Complex)|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
Established by 1825; various 19th century construction dates; altered 1960s; restored 1980s-90s. The United States government established an arsenal on this uptown site in 1825 on the location of a paupers' cemetery. The arsenal continued in operation until the beginning of the Civil War, when it was taken over by the Confederacy. The only remnant of the first complex was exclusively renovated in 1884 as a chapel for Porter Military Academy, a boys' school formed in 1867 by an Episcopal clergyman, the noted Confederate chaplain Dr. Toomer Porter. Dr. Porter had obtained the arsenal site from the federal government with the assistance of Gen. William T. Sherman. A leading African-American builder helped Dr. Porter convert the former brick arsenal shed by adding a peaked Gothic roof and new windows. An octagonal, Gothic Revival library donated by a New York Episcopal minister in 1887 and designed by J.B. Snooks also survives from the formative period of the school; today it houses the library and archive of the Medical Society of SC. Colcock Hall, a 2-story brick artillery building, remains from the 1862-64 use of the site by the Confederacy. These buildings have been restored in recent years by their current owner, the Medical University of South Carolina (MUSC).
File contains histories of the building; Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) historical and architectural information with copies of photographs.
See also Porter Military Academy document box on Preservation Topics shelves.
Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston
Porter Military Academy (Charleston, S.C.)
Radcliffeborough and Cannonborough
National Register of Historic Places
|Physical Description||1 File Folder|
|Related Records||Show Related Records...|
|Object ID #||ASHLEY.167.001|