|Title||29 Archdale Street (Ross Tenement)|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
The tiny house, with its even tinier outbuilding, was built between 1872 and 1876 by Mrs. Ann Ross as a rental unit, replacing a house destroyed by fire in 1864. In general, the house was conservatively built, considering the taste of the 1870s, and contains features more common in antebellum Charleston dwellings, including Gothic Revival interior woodwork, out of fashion by the time the house was constructed. The masons used Charleston grey brick, perhaps salvaged from the structure which burned in 1864, and orange-red brick usually identified with structures dating from the post-Civil War period. All brickwork is American bond. Recently renovated by the Muller Trust.
File contains newspaper article (DYKYC).
No image on file.
|Subjects||Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston|
|Physical Description||1 File Folder|
|Related Records||Show Related Records...|
|Object ID #||ARCHDALE.029.001|