|Title||1 Charlotte Street (Charleston Gas Light Company)|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
Constructed ca. 1855. Located at the east end of Charlotte Street, this 1-story, gable-roofed brick building and a 2-story, similarly styled structure, both surrounded by a brick wall, are the remains of South Carolina's earliest public utility complex, and the forerunner of what is now SCE&G. This plant supplied Charleston houses with gas in the antebellum period; the structures are still owned by the power company and house electric generating facilities. Flemish bond brick work and blind arches are architectural distinctions in this otherwise plain industrial complex. A/k/a Charleston Gas Works.
File contains scant research notes (chain-of-title); history from Information for Guides of Historic Charleston; 1991 letter from SCE&G regarding the demolition of the powerhouse at 642 Meeting Street and restoration of historic Gas Works property; photocopy of early photograph of the Gas Works building; .
Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston
Mazyckborough and Wraggborough
|Physical Description||1 File Folder|
|Related Records||Show Related Records...|
|Object ID #||CHARLOTTE.001.01|