|Object ID #||ASHLEY.096.001|
|Title||96 Ashley Avenue (Theodore Gaillard House)|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
Constructed ca. 1816. The well-to-do merchant and planner who built 60 Montagu Street constructed this as his new residence by 1816. The Gaillard House presents an unusually wide elevation and large closed-ended gable to the street. The 2½ story wood dwelling with beaded weatherboards and a double-tiered south piazza stands on a high stuccoed basement. A lunette window caps the tympanum of the modillioned west gable. A modified double house on the interior, the dwelling retains its late Federal and Regency style woodwork. After Gaillard's death the property was sold to Dr. Willis Wilkinson, whose daughter married Dr. Christopher G. Memminger, secretary of the treasury of the Confederacy and Charleston advocate of public education. In 1849, however, Dr. Paul Trapier Keith, the great-grandson of Nathaniel Russell and a priest of St. Michael's Episcopal Church, purchased the property.
File contains FOHG house history ("old"); house history fromInformation for Guides of Historic Charleston; Guide Notes (source unidentified); HCF staff research notes; newspaper article, "House Typical of its Period" (DYKYC); chain-of-title research notes with Property Record from RMC's office; documentation related to the possible purchase of the property by HCF's Revolving Fund (rejected).
|Subjects||Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston|
|Physical Description||1 File Folder|
|Related Records||Show Related Records...|