|Object ID #||ASHLEY.095.001|
|Title||95 Ashley Avenue (Mayor William A. Courtenay House)|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
Constructed before 1852. Mayor William Ashmead Courtenay purchased this 3½-story Charleston single house from a trustee acting for Henry Sterling Lebby and his wife, Susan Ann, in 1870. Theodore Jervey probably built the original Greek Revival style house in the 1840s, conveying it to Lebby in the mid-1850s. Courtenay, who came to office in 1879, served as mayor of Charleston at a crucial time in its history. While modernizing city government, he greatly improved the city with new parks, fire and police stations, and a renovated city hall. He envisioned a quality expansion of the city into the northern portion of the peninsula and worked for its recovery after the hurricane of 1885 and the earthquake of 1886. Basically a Greek Revival single house in form, the structure has triple-tiered piazzas that once overlooked a large garden, which was subdivided in the 20th century. Although the piazzas and the pilastered door screen survive, the front facade of the dwelling was renovated after the earthquake of 1886 with a 2-story projecting bay and triple front windows on both levels. The parapeted brick gable was reduced to create a bracketed roof overhang in the Italianate manner. Although rehabilitated many years ago as an apartment, the original separate kitchen dependency survives at 51½-A Montagu Street.
File contains FOHG house histories of the Kitchen Dependency (2003) and the Kitchen House (2003); HCF staff research notes; house history from Information for Guides of Historic Charleston.
|Subjects||Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston|
|Physical Description||1 File Folder|
|Related Records||Show Related Records...|