|Title||22 Burns Lane|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
Formerly known as Blackbird Alley, Burns Lane was established by 1801. Small tradesmen and laborers lived in Blackbird Alley through the 19th century. Most of the small dwellings have been removed, but the scale and finish of 20 Burns Lane are indicative of some of those buildings that were demolished. The Horlbeck family built the house before 1852, as well as the building at 22 Burns Lane, possibly an outbuilding to 20 Burns Lane and its twin to the west, now demolished. There is a possibility, however, that this structure is older and was an outbuilding to Henry Horlbeck's house which stood to the north, facing Calhoun Street. 22 Burns Lane is plainly finished, as is typical of an outbuilding. It has 8 bays across the south elevation, with segmental arches and radiating voussoirs. End gables are plain.
File contains newspaper article (DYKYC).
|Subjects||Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston|
|Physical Description||1 File Folder|
|Object ID #||BURNS.022.01|