Historic Charleston Foundation logo

images banner
images banner small

Archive Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Title 80 Alexander Street (Gadsden-Dewees House)
Object Type Property File
Scope & Content Constructed 1800-1810; altered ca. 1886. Site of that portion of Mazyck's Pasture where a "noble live oak tree" was formally dedicated to "liberty" by Charleston's John Wilkes Club in 1766. Owned by the Gadsden estate, this and adjoining parcels were acquired by William Dewees, a planter and wharf owner, 1n 1807. A subsequent owner added the piazzas, the Greek Revival door surrounds, and the Victorian window heads. A third story and roof were damaged and removed after the earthquake of 1886. (Poston, Buildings of Charleston.)

File contains handwritten (staff) research sources notes, with attachment providing a brief history regarding the Liberty Tree Marker and WCSC Broadcast Museum.
Subjects Historic buildings
Historical markers
Search Terms Mazyckborough and Wraggborough
Alexander Street
Middle Street
Liberty Tree
Covenant Property
Alexander Street
Physical Description 1 File Folder
Related Records Show Related Records...
Object ID # ALEXANDER.080.001